The details foul that they"re phone call (and is often referred to as a "reach in" foul) is the defensive player poignant the offensive player ("making contact") in a disallowed way. "Re-routing" together referred in the other answer is actually a various rule - the affects all players, but players guarding the player possessing the ball have actually a separate, more restrictive ruleset governing them.
You are watching: What is a reach in foul
Most protective fouls consists violations that this rule - basically, don"t touch the player v the ball other than in specifically allowed ways.
The preeminence is ascendancy 12, B, ar 1, (b). Most of ar 1 (except the penalties) is reproduced below.
a. A player shall not hold, push, fee into, impede the progress of an opponent by extending a hand, arm, foot or knee or by bending the body right into a position that is no normal. Contact that outcomes in the re-routing the an foe is a foul which need to be called immediately.
b. Call initiated through the protective player guarding a player v the round is no legal. This contact includes, yet is not minimal to, forearm, hands, or human body check.
(1) A defender may use contact v a forearm to an attack player through the ball who has his ago to the basket listed below the complimentary throw line expanded outside the Lower protective Box.
(2) A defender may apply contact with a forearm and/or one hand through a bending elbow to an attack player in a post-up position with the ball in the Lower defensive Box.
(3) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the sphere at any type of time in the Lower protective Box.
The forearm in the over exceptions is exclusively for the objective of maintaining a defensive position.
(4) A defender might position his leg in between the legs of an offensive player in a postup position in the Lower protective Box because that the function of maintaining defensive position. If his foot pipeline the floor in an effort to dislodge his opponent, the is a foul immediately.
(5) Incidental contact with the hand against an offensive player shall be ignored if the does not influence the player’s speed, quickness, balance and/or rhythm.
See more: How Do You Say Grandfather In Polish, What Is The Polish Word For 'Grandpa'
c. Any type of player whose actions against an opponent cause illegal call with yet another opponent has committed the an individual foul. D. A an individual foul committed by the offensive team during a throw-in shall it is in an offensive foul, regardless of even if it is the ball has actually been released. E. Call which wake up on the hand that the attack player, while that hand is in call with the ball, is legal.