• Most usual blood type• most transfused blood type• can be offered to most patients• entirety blood and twin red cell essential most
9% that the U.S. Populace has O- blood
• universal red blood cell donor• have the right to be offered to every patients• have the right to only obtain O- blood• totality blood and dual red cells needed most
30% that the U.S. Populace has A+ blood
• Tremendous need for A+ platelets• 2nd most common blood type• take into consideration platelet pheresis together the best method to help
6% of the U.S. Population has A- blood
• rare blood type• Donate entirety blood or automatically red cells• Plasma and platelet pheresis are additionally needed
9% of the U.S. Population has B+ blood
• deserve to donate only to B+ and AB+ patients• have the right to receive most blood types• Donate platelets, plasma and also red cells
2% that the U.S. Populace has B- blood
• very rare blood type• Donate whole blood or automatic red cells• Plasma and also platelet pheresis are additionally needed
4% the the U.S. Population has AB+ blood
• very rare blood type• deserve to donate only to AB+ patients• global Plasma donor• Plasma and platelet pheresis is the best method to help
1% of the U.S. Populace has AB- blood
• Rarest of blood types• can donate just to abdominal muscle patients• global Plasma donor• Plasma and also platelet pheresis is the best means to help
Blood is a living tissue written of blood cells suspended in plasma.
You are watching: How many cc in a unit of blood
The moving elements, red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets – do up about 45% of the volume of whole blood. Plasma, which is 92% water, makes up the remaining 55%.
The mean adult has actually 8 – 12 pints that blood traveling everywhere his or her body through the heart, lungs, arteries, veins and capillaries. Blood is critical part of our bodies the transports oxygen, nutrients, and also metabolic waste. In enhancement to every that, blood performs this functions:Replenishes oxygen and removes carbon dioxideDistributes crucial nutrients come cellsCarries far metabolic waste materials for disposalRecognizes antigens (foreign substances) and produces antitoxin (immune defense mechanisms)Clots cuts, wounds and scratches to protect against bleeding
How is blood used?
Blood and also its contents have countless uses.
Hospitals stock some of the an ext common blood components used in emergencies, yet usually blood commodities are not ordered until they space needed. Castle are retained at the Rock flow Valley Blood center until a hospital orders them.
Red cells can be provided for 42 days after they space donated. Castle are used in the treatment of accident victims, to change blood lost throughout surgery, come treat burn victims and to increase the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. Lock are likewise used in the treatment of anemia that can’t be median corrected.
Platelets are stored separate from various other components and must be provided in the five days following the donation. Lock are frequently used come treat bone marrow failure, leukemia and also cancer patients, low platelet counting or other problems causing abnormally work platelets.
Plasma has a much much longer shelf life and is often frozen for later use. Once thawed, plasma is used during cardiac surgery, for burn victims, and to law bleeding disorders. For example, bleeding disorders can happen in liver failure, once too much of a blood thinner has been offered or once severe bleeding and massive transfusions result in short levels of coagulation factors.
Plasma is regularly used to make therapies for bleeding disorders:
Factor VII concentrate is offered in the treatment and also prevention of bleeding episodes.
Factor VIII concentrate and also cryoprecipitate are offered by patients with hemophilia A (classic hemophilia), i m sorry is caused by a deficiency of element VIII. Cryoprecipitate is all set from plasma and also contains fibrinogen, von Willebrand factor, element VIII, variable XIII and fibronectin.
Factor IX concentrate is provided by patients v hemophilia B (“Christmas disease”), i beg your pardon is caused by a deficiency that clotting factor IX.
A transfusion is a procedure the replaces the blood shed by a patient with the blood that a generous donor favor you!
After you provide your blood, while you’re snacking ~ above cookies and showing turn off your arm wrap, your blood begins its trip to save lives! with one donation, friend can help save as plenty of as as much as 3 lives. No wonder sdrta.net donors and volunteers feel so amazing. And, who ever before thought saving lives could be this easy?
01. everyone in an excellent health, at least 17 year old (or 16 year old through parental consent – click right here for consent form), and at the very least 110 pounds may donate totality blood every 56 days.02. 4.5 million American stays are saved annually by blood transfusions.03. 40,000 pints that donated blood are used each day in the unified States.04. Someone requirements blood every two seconds.
06. up to 3 lives are saved by one pint that donated blood.07. in between 8-12 pints that blood room in the human body of an mean adult.08. One unit the blood is ~525 mL, i beg your pardon is about the equivalent of one pint.09. A newborn infant has around one cup the blood in his body.10. The typical transfusion patience receives 3 systems of red blood cells.11. A, B, abdominal muscle and O are the 4 main species of blood types. Abdominal muscle is the universal recipient, O negative is the universal donor.12. Blood centers often run brief of varieties O and B blood.
14. The yes, really blood donation commonly takes less than ten minutes. The entire process from the time you authorize in to the time you leaving takes about an hour.15. providing blood will certainly not decrease your strength.
17. Red blood cells bring oxygen come the body organs and tissue.18. There space one billion red blood cell in 2 to three drops the blood.19. Platelets assistance blood clotting and also give those through leukemia and other cancers a possibility to live.20. The shelf life of donated red blood cell is 42 days.21. The shelf life that donated platelets is five days.22. vehicle accident and blood ns victims might need transfusions that 50 pints or more of red blood cells.
24. serious burn victims may need 20 units of platelets during their treatment.25. youngsters being treated because that cancer, premature birth infants and children having actually heart surgery require blood and platelets native donors of all types.26. Cancer, transplant and trauma patients, and patients undergoing open-heart surgery often require platelet transfusions come survive.27. 500,000 american donated blood in the days complying with the September 11th attacks.
28. 94% that blood donors room registered voters.29. Bone marrow transplant patients deserve to use as much as 120 platelets and also red blood cell from about 20 people.
See more: Dream About Someone Trying To Shoot Me, Dream Of Someone Trying To Kill Me And My Family
30. 17% the non-donors mention “never thought around it” together the main reason for not giving, when 15% say they’re too busy. The #1 factor donors to speak they give is since they “want to aid others.”